DirtDart 6
Fitzy 6
HarryB 5
Mr_Blog 4
NightShade 3
m2h 2
scootermcfly 2
Topic Options
#182461 - 02/08/17 02:16 PM Are you still using ICQ?
PraskeT Offline
Pirate

Loc: Seattle, WA
I know quite a few of us used ICQ in the good ole days. Does anyone still use it?

I just tried to login but I cannot remember my password and since I never setup email or number for recovery they said there is nothing they can do for me. frown

#182462 - 02/09/17 07:51 AM Re: Are you still using ICQ? [Re: PraskeT]
MorningStar Offline
Cabin Boy

Loc: Beyond the Sun
Wow, i can't even think of the last time I even heard those three letters together, it's been at least 15-20 years at this point. If i recall they got gobbled up by AOL/AIM way back in the day

#182464 - 02/09/17 01:09 PM Re: Are you still using ICQ? [Re: PraskeT]
PraskeT Offline
Pirate

smile yeah I know right. I am getting back into Ultima Online and it seems to still be the method of chatting.

AOl did buy them but it seems now they are owned by https://corp.mail.ru/ru/ which looking at now I might not want my account back anyway. :|

#182466 - 02/14/17 05:03 AM Re: Are you still using ICQ? [Re: PraskeT]
PacxDragon Offline
Daemon Child

Loc: Toronto
I haven't tried using it in years, don't have the slightest clue what my login was. Going back to a basic messenger might be nice to try though.

#182501 - 06/11/17 01:30 PM Re: Are you still using ICQ? [Re: PraskeT]
PraskeT Offline
Pirate

I was trying to get the support people to reset my account but they would not. Well they said I would need to have some of my old contacts ICQ message them to vouch for me. I didnt want to request that of anyone so I just left it as that.

#182506 - 08/12/17 08:03 AM Re: Are you still using ICQ? [Re: PraskeT]
bitstorm Offline
High Infidelity

iCQ had a huge footprint and certainly served its purpose, but it's kind of like Flash; it fell out of fashion and then eventually better replacements came along. iCQ also had one of the most annoying default notification sounds ever. If someone started messaging you repeatedly, it quickly became irritating. I ended up uninstalling it and went without any messaging software for years.

Skype became a pretty good replacement. Then they got bought out by Microsoft and they started adding crap to it. I don't need Bollywood film clip based emoticons with my chat messenger. Then they started cramming ads into it. Last time I opened it, it prompted me to install a foreign language font just like Excel does now. Completely unnecessary.

A lot of gamers are chatting on Steam. Most of today's youth I see using Snapchat. Few seem to be messaging on laptops or computers regularly.

#182519 - Yesterday at 01:24 PM Re: Are you still using ICQ? [Re: PraskeT]
Anartist Offline
Byte-Shamanist

Loc: The Frozen North
it was the king for techs for over a decade,
but messenger and facecrack were the winners for the masses.

wish I could remember my old number too, I had one of the original short numbers

They say "Sing while you slave, but I just get bored" - B.Dylan

Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays